A dementia diagnosis is devastating for not just the patients, but their families as well. Watching a loved one slowly fade and withdraw from the person they once were is incredibly difficult. That is why it is so important to keep people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other dementia type diseases engaged in activities or hobbies that once interested them. According to experts, appropriate activities can provide a number of benefits for people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Not sure what activity to choose? Below are a few suggested activities:
- Baking or cooking simple recipes together
- Cleaning the house or place where your loved one is residing
- Creating simple crafts, like knitting, or painting a picture together
- Reading books your loved one used to enjoy
- Reading the newspaper together
- Playing familiar music or singing a song together
- Tending the garden or visiting a botanical garden
- Watching family videos
- Putting together a puzzle
When choosing an activity, the Alzheimer’s Association recommends you keep in mind the following:
- Stick with activities your loved one has always enjoyed and adjust, as needed, to match their current abilities.
- Take note on what your loved one enjoys. Does something in particular make them seem happy, anxious, distracted, or irritable?
- Be aware of physical problems.
- Focus on enjoyment, not an end result, like winning.
- Encourage involvement in daily household activities, like setting a table. This could make your loved one feel like a valued part of the household.
- Focus on activities that relate to a former career, like organizing a desk or sorting mail.
- Consider the time of day you do certain activities; you could get more engagement during particular parts of the day.
- Adjust activities to disease stages, like introducing more repetitive tasks as the disease progresses.
Caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or dementia can be incredibly difficult. We’re here to help. If you find yourself searching for the perfect memory care facility close to home, consider a Schonberg Care Community. With eleven communities spanning Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina, our team is dedicated to providing exceptional care and offering incomparable amenities in our communities. From independent and assisted living to memory care, contact us today to learn more about what each community has to offer.